You are here: Home Mystery Writting
The Ultimate Mystery Writing Guide For Kids ($7.99)
This PDF guide is designed for children 8-12 years of age who are interested in writing their own mysteries. National Board Certified elementary school teacher and award-winning author Steve Reifman takes young writers step-by-step from the beginning of the writing process to the end and helps them craft stories that keep readers guessing and on the edge of their seats! It doesnâ€™t matter whether students are already seasoned mystery writers or brand new to the genre. This informative 56-page guide promises to take childrenâ€™s writing skills to the next level.
The guide features:
* Easy-to-follow lessons
* Quality instruction from a National Board Certified teacher and award-winning children's author about all the elements that make mysteries so much fun to read and write!
* Numerous examples from Steve's book Chase Against Time that demonstrate important teaching points
* A focus on valuable writing habits, such as perseverance, pride, and paying attention to detail
* An emphasis on enjoying the writing process and developing a passion for reading and writing
The guide is divided into four sections.
I. Getting Started
1) What is a Mystery?
2) What is the Crime?
3) Who is the Crime Solver?
4) Collecting Seeds
5) Trying Out Our Ideas
6) Making the Choice
II.Bringing The Characters to Life
7) Three-Dimensional Bone Structure
8) Character Change
9) Character â€œBack Storyâ€
10) Who Did It?
11) List of Suspects
14) Ruling Out Suspects
III. Adding Other Mystery Elements
15) Hiding Clues
18) Red Herrings
19) Investigation Strategies
IV. Putting it All Together into a Story
21) Story Mountain
22) Chapter Plans
27) Reflecting & Celebrating
Note: The lessons in bold letters are essential to this mystery writing process. The other lessons are included to give children an extra challenge and provide them with a more complete writing experience.